Husqvarna AB is one of the leaders in the modern chainsaw market. It produces more than 20 popular models of gasoline chain saws, varying in power and purpose. In this article we will talk about where the company’s plants are located, what models are popular today. Let’s consider the construction of chainsaws Husqvarna, features of equipment and motor life. Where are Husqvarna chainsaws made?
- Are Husqvarna Products Made in USA?
- How a Husqvarna Chainsaw Is Constructed
- Technical Features And Functions of Chainsaws Made
- Air Injection
- Improved Engine Crankcase
- The Oil Pump
- Filter Fastening
- Marking the Direction Of the Swath
- Smart Start
- Auto Tune
- Special Bar Nuts
- Pros And Cons of Chainsaws Husqvarna Group
- Husqvarna Group Lifespan
- Specific Models of Husqvarna Group Chainsaws
- Most Popular Household Husqvarna Group Saw
- Popular Semi-Professional Chainsaw
- Popular Professional Model
- Useful Information: What Are The Best Husqvarna Chainsaws To Buy?
- How to Distinguish a Fake Made in China From the Original
- Interesting Facts About Husqvarna Group Chainsaws
Are Husqvarna Products Made in USA?
The history Husqvarna chainsaws made begins in 1689. At that time, it was not engaged in the development of chainsaws, but was focused on the assembly of muskets, belonged to the defense industry. Much later, somewhere around 1920, the company was one of the first to launch the production of chain saws with two-stroke gasoline engines.
Where are Husqvarna chainsaws made? From that moment on its rapid development began and resulted in a wide range of chain saws available to the users all over the world. Until recently, all Husqvarna chainsaws made in Sweden; today the company has factories in the USA, Brazil, France, Poland and China. It owns several brands under which domestic models of chainsaws and other tools are sold.
You can find information on where a particular chainsaws made on the manufacturer’s website or by looking at the nameplate on the chainsaw. New chainsaws made and tested in Sweden. Representatives of the head office oversee production in other countries. This makes it possible to supply the consumer with the necessary amount of finished products, while maintaining high quality.
How a Husqvarna Chainsaw Is Constructed
The typical assembly diagram of a Husqvarna chainsaw is almost identical to that used by competitors. The main assemblies of a chainsaw are:
- The body
- Saw bar with a chain
In turn, each of these nodes is assembled from a variety of parts that differ in appearance and functionality.
All chainsaws made and equipped with a two-stroke engine with an electronic ignition system. The carburetor is a membrane carburetor with the ability to work in any position in space.
The Husqvarna chainsaws made of impact-resistant plastic. It is not afraid of temperature fluctuations and is adapted to the harsh Russian climate. In the front, on almost all chainsaws, there is a tank for the adhesive lubrication of the chain. Important! In some models of Husqvarna, the engine sump is mounted in the housing from the factory, this causes inconvenience during overhaul.
The starter is mounted on the flywheel side and is part of the housing. The chain brake cover is mounted on the right side; it also holds the saw headset.
Every Husqvarna chainsaw has two handles that the operator holds while working. The front handle chainsaws made of plastic-coated aluminum. In the back are the controls and the fuel tank.
The front handle is rigidly mounted to the main body, using self-cutters for attachment. The rear handle is connected to the body through metal shock absorbers, this scheme allows to reduce vibration. The device of the Husqvarna chainsaws does not differ from the classic scheme of execution, but has a number of advantages in the form of technological features over its competitors.
Technical Features And Functions of Chainsaws Made
Husqvarna engineers are constantly improving their chainsaws. Over the years, they have accumulated many technical developments, which are used in almost all Husqvarna models. Let’s take a closer look at the main ones.
The system is designed to increase the chainsaw’s operating time without maintenance on the air filter. Additionally, by reducing the load on the filter element, as it gets less sawdust and debris, the system extends its service life. The essence of Air Injection is an air pre-filtering by a centrifugal cleaning system. It is installed on almost all modern Husqvarna chainsaws.
Improved Engine Crankcase
The engine crankcase is under tremendous strain during operation, so the material it is made of must be strong. Aluminum, while light and soft, is not strong enough. Husqvarna engineers have developed a special magnesium-aluminum alloy that is highly durable, but at the same time does not lose the original qualities of aluminum.
This approach increased durability and made the chainsaw lighter.
The Oil Pump
No one is surprised today by the chain lubrication control system, but at the time of the first chainsaws with this feature it was a serious advantage over the competition. This development, one of the most useful, because it not only saves lubricants, but also prolongs the life of the saw headset. Important: When the saw headset works under conditions of lack of lubrication it heats up and wears out several times faster than under normal working conditions.
Not the newest, but also an interesting development of the Husqvarna engineers, is the fastening system for the filter element. The quick-release filter, which requires no tools to remove, is convenient. At any time, the user can remove the air filter within a minute, clean out the coarse sawdust and put it back in. No need to carry a screwdriver or special wrench for cleaning.
Marking the Direction Of the Swath
Another small development aimed at comfortable use of the chainsaw. On the body of the saw, more precisely on the starter motor and the top cover, there is a technological molding, which is made at an angle of 900 to the bar.
This way, the operator can control the direction while felling the tree.
Tip! For more information on how to correctly fell trees and use the direction indicator, please refer to the owner’s manual or to the article that you will find on our website.
X-Torq Technology is a breakthrough in the history of the two-stroke engine. Husqvarna engineers have made the X-Torq an environmentally friendly and fuel efficient system, but at a price that is slightly lower in relation to engine displacement, but it is well worth it.
In order to understand the essence of the technology, we will tell a little about the principle of operation of the two-stroke engine. In all previously developed engines, the blowing of the cylinder after the combustion of fuel was carried out with a new portion of the fuel-air mixture. Thus, a certain amount of unburned mixture went into the muffler and further into the atmosphere. Such losses were considered normal until Husqvarna engineers came up with an engine in which blowing was carried out with clean, atmospheric air.
To realize their vision, the engineers had to modernize not only the engine cylinder and piston, but also the carburetor. Additional channels were added, through which air enters the cylinder and only then a new portion of the fuel mixture enters. X-Torq technology is a patented system and fully owned by Husqvarna. It is not used on third-party chainsaws, at least not in any way.
Another patented Husqvarna technology. It eases how to start a Husqvarna chainsaw, designed to reduce the effort required to start the engine. According to Husqvarna, Smart Start reduces the starter’s resistance when starting the engine by 40 percent. Smart Start is realized by installing an additional spring that takes the initial force from the tension of the starter cord, then pulls off and turns the flywheel.
It is the name of the system that controls the fuel mixture quality and quantity adjustments in the carburetor. In fact, this is what in a car is called an injector. A special chip installed in the chainsaw engine is connected to sensors on the carburetor and engine. The program in the chip takes readings from the sensors and based on these readings gives commands to the automatic adjustment system. Thus the maximum engine performance is reached in all conditions and modes and the necessity of the carburetor’s manual adjustment is eliminated.
You don’t need to close the choke to start the chainsaw with the AutoTune system, just turn the ignition on and pull the starter motor. The engine will start, adjust itself and after the first minutes it will be ready for productive work. The technology is expensive and for this reason is not yet installed on all models of Husqvarna, but it can be assumed that the system has a great future, as it really simplifies the chainsaw service.
Special Bar Nuts
Another development that will be useful to those who are always losing their bar nuts. Now it is impossible to lose them, because they cannot be removed.
Some people will find the system useless, but those who have ever irrevocably lost their nuts after tightening the chain will appreciate this development. We have reviewed the main features and functions of Husqvarna chainsaws, which are used on modern chainsaws and are considered the most in demand.
Pros And Cons of Chainsaws Husqvarna Group
Talking about the line of chainsaws, it is impossible not to touch on their pros and cons, because as you know, any tools have them and chainsaws Husqvarna is no exception. The general positive points associated with Husqvarna saws:
- All models were developed taking into account the great experience and the experience of the engineers, and each new chainsaw is in some way superior to the previous one.
- Chainsaws made only from quality materials and are tested in the company’s laboratories for strength and durability.
- The company is committed to long-term cooperation and support for the users of its tools, which is why it is constantly developing a network of specialist workshops and supplying the market with the necessary spare parts and consumables.
Now, what can be said about Husqvarna group on the negative side.
- The company’s products do not belong to the price category affordable to most people in our country. The saws are really expensive, although no doubt about the quality.
- It is difficult to maintain chainsaws Husqvarna group on their own, because the tools have technical solutions aimed at the user to go to the service center. For example, carburetor adjustment screws with notches for a special key.
- High cost of original spare parts.
- Constant updating of the model range, due to which sometimes there is confusion with spare parts when repairing chainsaws Husqvarna.
Here we finish with the positive and negative points and move on to the discussion of motor life.
Husqvarna Group Lifespan
Unfortunately, we can’t tell you exact information on the lifespan of specific Husqvarna models, because the manufacturer keeps it a secret. But Husqvarna makes a clear division of their saws into categories. There are three categories in total.
- Semi-professional, they are also called saws for agriculture.
Based on this division, we can conclude that the greatest motor life in professional chainsaws, because they are designed for daily work of 8 hours. Household models have the least, and saws for agriculture have average indicators. It is impossible to say exactly, we can only find out in practice, but it will take too much time. Important! The service life of the chainsaw is not only affected by the quality of the parts from which it is made, the oils used to prepare the fuel mixture are of great importance, as well as the frequency of maintenance of the tool.
Specific Models of Husqvarna Group Chainsaws
For the purposes of this article, let’s look at only the most popular chainsaws, one from each group.
Most Popular Household Husqvarna Group Saw
Without a doubt, the most popular chainsaw in the household segment, was the Husqvarna 142 and its younger sister, the 137 model. Today, these saws are not produced, but at one time they were sold so much that even now the information on repair and maintenance of these models is relevant.
The 142nd model had everything that a domestic class chainsaw needs – practicality and unpretentiousness. Power, enough for the tasks of the domestic segment and of course maintainability. People loved and love the Husqvarna 142 until now. The replacement of the 142 model was the chainsaw Husqvarna 240, but it did not prove itself as well as the previous model, and for this reason the company lost its position in competition with Stihl, which today is the leader in the domestic segment.
Popular Semi-Professional Chainsaw
The most popular all-purpose chainsaw of Husqvarna group today is the 445E.
The power of the model is just over 2 kW. The length of the bar recommended by the manufacturer is not more than 50 cm. Such characteristics make the chainsaw popular with users. According to the reviews of owners, the saw is primitive, reliable and easily cuts trees, the diameter of which exceeds the length of the bar by half. The model has modern equipment and is inferior to the professional Husqvarna saws only in engine power.
Popular Professional Model
The most popular professional chainsaw is, without a doubt, the Husqvarna 365.
It is powerful, almost 3,500 watts, reliable and unpretentious. Its advantage over competitors’ professional saws is its low weight. Without the saw headset and with empty tanks, the saw weighs only 6.4 kg. That’s not a bad indicator. Of course, in the Husqvarna line there are more powerful professional models. For example:
- Husqvarna 372 XP;
- 576 XP;
- 395 XP.
But they are already too powerful and heavy. Working with such saws for a long time requires a lot of force, and the 365th is lightweight, so professionals choose it more often.
Important! The opinion of our site is based on the analysis of reviews of real owners of professional chainsaws Husqvarna, so it may differ from the official ratings compiled by specialized organizations.
Useful Information: What Are The Best Husqvarna Chainsaws To Buy?
Learn more about which chainsaw model from the Husqvarna line is worth buying in this video.
How to Distinguish a Fake Made in China From the Original
- The fake looks exactly the same as the famous “Gypsy” saw. The color may be different, but the main nodes and body parts are similar in design.
- Fakes do not have a metal nameplate with the serial number and model designation.
- The fake air filter cover is attached with a screw, while the original has a quick-release fastener.
These are the three main differences, according to which even an ordinary user can identify a fake with a visual inspection.
Important: Remember, buying a Chinese fake, you deprive yourself of warranty and proper service.
Interesting Facts About Husqvarna Group Chainsaws
- Husqvarna chains with a gold tooth. The company’s line of saw chains does include a chain that has been popularly nicknamed a chain with a “gold” tooth. Of course, there is no actual precious metal in such a chain, but there is a connecting link that is specially made to distinguish it from others. What is this for? It is convenient to start sharpening with this link and then there is no need to mark the first tooth to be sharpened with a marker or in some other way, as it was customary to do before. A conceptual solution – comfort even in the smallest details.
- Blue starter strips and what it’s for. When working with a saw in the winter, there are often problems associated with freezing of the starter during even short breaks in the work. This is primarily due to snow and moisture getting into the starter motor. The blue cover is part of what is known as the winter kit, designed to protect against snow and limit the intake of cold air. Husqvarna is the most northern saw manufacturer in the world, and they know better than anyone how to protect the tool and prepare it for the toughest conditions.
- Husqvarna serial number. The first four digits are the year of manufacture, the next two are the serial number of the week of manufacture, and the last digits are the number in order of manufacture in the week. In general, if desired, by the serial number you can determine when, where and by what operator a particular chain saw was assembled. It is also worth paying attention to the packaging, which should have a brand logo and contain information about the serial number of the chain saw that is inside it.
Where are Husqvarna chainsaws made? To summarize, we would like to note that the company Husqvarna has not slowed down its development in the slightest, and continues to delight users with new products every year. The saws become more reliable and comfortable every day, and the level of service in the service centers is increasing. Of course, everyone wants the Husqvarna saws to become more affordable, but a quality tool cannot be cheap.